Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Giving out credit card details

We are in the process of booking villa in Bali. We are being asked for credit card number (of course) but also a copy (both sides) of credit card as well as a copy of passport. Reading the forum it seems to be common but we are reluctant for someone to have all our details for 10 odd months. Can anyone give us any feedback? The villa is Plawa Asri and there is no forum info about them either.

Thanks in anticipation

Spud64

Giving out credit card details

I would feel uncomfortable about the card details as well, so far I have been lucky and only once had to give my credit details, but even then it was just the number and with hotels that had very good reputations so I felt OK about it, but I know my mum has a special credit card with a very low amount on it for this reason.

If you have to do it and feel worried talk to your bank maybe they can keep an eye on it and make sure nothing strange goes on?

I can understand the need to secure a booking with a credit card but have always thought it odd to send a photocopy of your passport, I haven%26#39;t yet been ask to but if I was I would tell the hotel that I didn%26#39;t want to do it and that I will show them my pass port when I get there, not sure what they would say?

Good luck, I haven%26#39;t ever heard of anyone having any trouble from giving their details to a hotel.

Giving out credit card details

i have given my credit card number numerous times BUT i send the number in different e mails ie first 3 numbers 1st e mail etc. i would not supply the security number on the back or send my passport details now. (10 months in advance). e mail them back and suggest what you are willing to provide at this stage. the front numbers on your card should be sufficient to secure the booking. otherwise you can always do a bank transfer to secure the booking however the fees are usually around the $30 - $40 to do this.


Hi Spud,

I have also been asked to provide my credit card details, passport and letter of authorisation with withdraw on the card.

I have provided my c/c details but won%26#39;t be handing over my passport.

Cheers

Deb


HI SPUD

See if u can pay using Paypal thats how I paid my Bali Hotels no probs


I have given out my credit card and passport details via encrypted email without any problem, but I can understand your wariness. You could contact the hotel and see if there%26#39;s an alternative method of payment they%26#39;ll accept, or see if they%26#39;re registered with a hotel booking website where you can actually pay by credit card.


Hi Spud,

I worked as a Travel agent for many years %26amp; this is common practice for hotels.

Hotels normally do this instead of taking a deposit %26amp; then payment is made directly upon check in (either cash or cc)

Hotels take the credit card as a guarantee that you will arrive as arranged for you. The card will only be charged if you do not arrive as arranged

You will need to check with the hotel about their individual cancellation policy, normally you are required to advise at least 48 hours prior to check in to avoid a fee being charged to the credit card

  • ie hosted control
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment